fusexmp hangs.. wont die
j***@gmail.com
2009-08-26 18:25:39 UTC
Hi
I am just new to FUSE and as a first step, I tried running the
example "fusexmp". Unfortunately it hangs and I am unable to kill it. These
are the steps I did:

1. I am running 2.6.18-8.el5PAE #1 SMP kernel. The kernel didnt have
fuse.ko module. So I had to get the kernel source to build the fuse module.
2. Since I couldnt get hold of the source code for PAE version of the
kernel, I downloaded 2.6.18-8 from kernel.org and built fuse module
and "insmod" ed it.
3. Built the fuse 2.8.0 source tar ball (which built the examples also by
default)
4. Created /mnt/fuse directory
5. Ran examples/fusexmp /mnt/fuse -d

It just sits there doing nothing. When i type mount command, it doesnt show
the fuse filesystem mounted. Also, i can not seem to kill the process(Yes
used kill, kill -9 etc etc)

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks
-GV
Russ Weeks
2009-08-27 18:34:44 UTC
Hi, GV

Have you tried building and running fusexmp from fuse-2.7.4? That
might be more compatible with your kernel. I think there's
kernel<->library version checking built into FUSE, but maybe it's not
100%.

Russ
Jojy Varghese
2009-08-27 20:53:26 UTC
I will try that. For now I have resorted to changing my Kernel :).

Thanks for the help.

Another question was what is fuse low level API? When should I be using
them? Maybe i should post this question in a different thread.

-GV
Post by j***@gmail.com
the fuse filesystem mounted. Also, i can not seem to kill the process(Yes
used kill, kill -9 etc etc)
Any help is much appreciated.
thanks
-GV
Post by j***@gmail.com
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
30-Day
Post by j***@gmail.com
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
focus on
Post by j***@gmail.com
Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Jojy G Varghese
Russ Weeks

Jojy G Varghese
Russ Weeks

Jojy G Varghese
Miklos Szeredi
2009-08-28 10:57:06 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Hi
I am just new to FUSE and as a first step, I tried running the
example "fusexmp". Unfortunately it hangs and I am unable to kill it. These
1. I am running 2.6.18-8.el5PAE #1 SMP kernel. The kernel didnt have
fuse.ko module. So I had to get the kernel source to build the fuse module.
2. Since I couldnt get hold of the source code for PAE version of the
kernel, I downloaded 2.6.18-8 from kernel.org and built fuse module
and "insmod" ed it.
That doesn't work. The "vanilla" kernel from kernel.org and the
distro kernel differ substantially and a module built for one will not
work correctly for the other.

Try installing the rpm matching your kernel from here:

http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/fuse/

Thanks,
Miklos
Jochen Roderburg
2009-08-30 08:12:30 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I am just new to FUSE and as a first step, I tried running the
example "fusexmp". Unfortunately it hangs and I am unable to kill it. These
1. I am running 2.6.18-8.el5PAE #1 SMP kernel. The kernel didnt have
fuse.ko module. So I had to get the kernel source to build the fuse module.
2. Since I couldnt get hold of the source code for PAE version of the
kernel, I downloaded 2.6.18-8 from kernel.org and built fuse module
and "insmod" ed it.
3. Built the fuse 2.8.0 source tar ball (which built the examples also by
default)
4. Created /mnt/fuse directory
5. Ran examples/fusexmp /mnt/fuse -d
It just sits there doing nothing. When i type mount command, it doesnt show
the fuse filesystem mounted. Also, i can not seem to kill the process(Yes
used kill, kill -9 etc etc)
That sounds just like the same experience I just have with my first encounters
with fuse. My real application is vdfuse, an utility which is supposed to mount
virtual disk images as used by the VirtualBox virtualization package.

As test I then tried the hello example from the fuse distribution and see the
same behaviour.

..../hello /mnt/vdi -d

brings:

FUSE library version: 2.8.0
nullpath_ok: 0
unique: 1, opcode: INIT (26), nodeid: 0, insize: 56
INIT: 7.11
flags=0x0000003b
max_readahead=0x00020000
INIT: 7.12
flags=0x00000011
max_readahead=0x00020000
max_write=0x00020000
unique: 1, success, outsize: 40

and then every process which tries to acces the mountpoint /mnt/vdi hangs
forever. Not interruptible (e.g. no ^C or ^Z possible), not killable even with
kill -9. The "hello" program can be killed and then the hanging programs return
with error messages.

Some envolved program versions:
Linux Kernel 2.6.30 SMP (with fuse fs)
glibc 2.7
gcc 4.4.1
fuse 2.8.0 (from source)

Best regards,

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10 Tel.: +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln E-Mail: ***@Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany